Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Sire Museum Restaurant, Penang by GNEB

I had lunch at The Sire today.

It is a very beautiful and unique restaurant. It combines a little museum upstairs with a tasteful restaurant downstairs, all under one roof. This is a fairly new concept in Penang.

The Sire has operated for almost a year now and this was actually my first visit. However, it’s better late than never, right?

The restaurant is located right opposite Great Eastern’s building in King Street, right in the heritage hub of Penang.



The interior is very tasteful, definitely an ideal place to bring your business counterparts and friends from overseas. The place will definitely give them a snapshot of how Penang is like – a good mixture of everything from colonialism, history, Nyonya (Straits Chinese) and modernism.


The bar…..



The fine dining setting…






And the greenery…




The place is definitely very popular for lunch as it was almost full. Many of the people who come here are from the offices nearby.

Many people also visited the museum upstairs, while waiting for their food. The museum has a good collection of Straits Chinese antiques.





The spiral staircase in the middle of the building





So, is the food equally as impressive as the interior?


Penne Pasta (RM16.80)
This is nice and steaming hot when it’s served. For a big pasta lover like me, this is scrumptious! It goes well with Tabasco Sauce – my usual way of eating pasta & spaghetti…




Seafood Spaghetti (RM18.80)
The salmon chunks and mussels were lovely. My friend obviously enjoyed it as much as I did.

Red Snapper (RM29.80)
According to my other friend who had this, this is very nice too. I should have asked for a slice to try out so that I can write better review…


Carbonara Spaghetti (RM19.80)
My friend couldn’t finish this as she said it’s too creamy. I’m not a big fan of creamy pasta either and that’s why I never ordered this. I would have left some over too if I did.





If you are in Penang, do go try it out. At least you can tell people you’ve been to the one and only museum restaurant in Penang.


My Scores:
Taste: ☺☺☺☺(not bad, quite tasty)
Environment: ☺☺☺☺☺(they must have spent millions to do up this place!)
Service: ☺☺☺
Price: ☺☺ (mind you, in such a classy restaurant…)
Parking: ☺☺☺ (terrible during business days. You can however park at the underground car park at Great Estern’s building at a rate of RM1 for ½ hour)
Address: 4, King Street, 10200 Penang
Tel: 604-2645088
Others: Right opposite Great Eastern and Padang Kota Lama (The Esplanade)

No comments:

Post a Comment