Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Saigon Kitchen Vietnamese Cuisine, Pulau Tikus by GNEB

The exoticism in my appetite continued…..

I mentioned in my previous post that I went to Saigon Kitchen last Sunday for Vietnamese food.

So, where exactly is this Saigon Kitchen then? It’s actually hidden at the far end of Lintang Burma; and where exactly is Lintang Burma? Ha, I bet even may Penangites do not know…

If you know where Bee Cheng Hiang and Kassim Mustafa in Pulau Tikus are, Lintang Burma is just the little street in between these 2 shops. Most of the Public Mutual agents should know of this street as there’s a big Public Mutual’s branch in Lintang Burma.

You’d be surprised to find there are actually quite a few restaurants in Lintang Burma even though it’s only a small street. There’s one Japanese, one Ramen, one Chinese and of course Saigon Kitchen Vietnamese Cuisine too. I’ll definitely try out the rest of the restaurants one by one (which I don’t think will be a difficult thing to do, considering my passion in trying out new places), but now I’ll share my experience at Saigon Kitchen.

Saigon Kitchen

It’s actually quite nice and comfortable inside

Lights with Vietnamese motif

Being a coffee lover in a Vietnamese restaurant, I’ve decided to order the Vietnamese Coffee. It came with water, condensed milk and tiny bit of coffee powder in the filter.

Vietnamese Coffee (RM6)

So, this is how you go about making the coffee:

Step 1:
Pour the hot water…..

…into the filter and leave it for a couple of minutes

Step 2:
Let the coffee drip into the cup.

Step 3:
Add some condensed milk into the coffee and stir..



Step 4:
Voila!

I must admit that I’m not really a fan of Vietnamese food and that the only thing I know about Vietnamese Food is Pho. I ordered 3 dishes based on my instinct.


Braised Duck (RM20)- Not bad for taste. It actually tasted a bit like the Singaporean Bak Kut Teh (herbal soup) with its peppery tasting soup’s base.

Watch it being heated on a stove…

Stir fried Bok Choy (RM8) – the shredded mushrooms were very nice. I promised not to order Kailan anymore, didn’t I?

Meatballs in Tomato Paste (RM13) – These took them some time to prepare and I could hear them pounding meat in the kitchen. I thought this was the most delicious of all the 3 dishes I ordered that evening.

Finally, it was time for some desserts….

I ordered Vietnamese Ice Kacang (shaved ice desserts) – Che!

Che (RM6) - I didn’t quite like this and thought that our Malaysian Ice Kacang is much better in taste and in colour combination…

There’re beans, corns and cendol in the concoction, but somehow it’s just tasteless!!

My Scores:

Taste: ☺☺☺☺(I liked the meatballs, so this may be a bit biased towards that)

Environment: ☺☺☺(It’s quiet in here)

Service: ☺☺(It’s a bit slow, but generally good mannered)

Price: ☺☺☺ (Exoticism comes with a price, it costs RM63.60 for all the above plus one root beer. Service charge is 10%)


Parking: ☺☺☺ (Depending on the time of the day. If it’s in the afternoon, you may have some problems. It should be fine in the evening)

Address: 19, Lintang Burma, 10250, Penang (in Pulau Tikus district)


Tel: 604-2267285

Others: They open from 12pm to 3pm; 6pm to 11pm…Huh, siesta for Vietnamese restaurant? They are closed on Monday


Website: http://saigon.penang.cc/

2 comments:

  1. Gneb... food looks so cool and delicious. Must go and try this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops... forgot about the kopi. Looks kinda cute to try ... ;-)

    ReplyDelete