Sunday, June 28, 2009

Hock Lye Seafood Village, Penang by GNEB

When we talk about good seafood places in Penang, what comes to most people’s mind is none other than the all so popular and touristy Batu Kawan in Tambun. Over the years though, Batu Kawan has become highly commercialized and the traffic condition is just terrible, especially during weekends.

I have discovered one seafood restaurant that serves very fresh seafood at very reasonable price on the island recently. This is definitely a good alternative to many islanders who love fresh seafood and can enjoy it within their easy reach.

I wouldn’t be surprised that many people have not actually heard of Hock Lye Seafood Village and do not know where it is. This place is located beneath the flyover at the cross-roads between Jelutong Express Way and Gat Lebuh Macallum. If you come from Jelutong Express Way, take the right turn after the traffic light at Gat Lebuh Macallum and then take the first right turn again and go straight till the dead end. Hock Lye Seafood Village is just right there.

Hock Lye Seafood Village


It's good to sit in the open area when the weather is good. You can enjoy the food and the breeze at the same time.



Catch of the day!



Crabs


Oysters


Horse Shoe Crabs – these creatures just freak me out!! Don’t they look like the Alien babies that Sigourney Weaver was fighting with?


You gotta have a look at this fella! He’s huge!




Say “Cheese” bro!

Shrimps boiled in hot water - You could taste the freshness in the shrimps without any condiment.


Fried Oysters Omelets topped with spicy sauce – I’d never tried fried oysters omelets this way but it was certainly very tasty and unique.



Steamed Fish ala Teow Chew – The fish was very fresh and the texture of its flesh could tell. The gravy was a bit sour though due to the pickled vegetables (kiam chai).


Fried Teow Chew Mee Teao (Teow Chew Noodles) – This was very delicious and I could only say I loved it!



Spicy Curry Crabs – The sauce was delicious. It’s perfect to go with white rice or bread.



Stir Fried Bok Choy with Garlic – If you like garlic, this would be a perfect dish.


So how much was the meal? Err…I didn’t pay this time as it was a treat. All I cared about was to eat.. he he..


Well, if there’s any hint to the bill, my family loves this place and we’ve come back again and again for seafood. So, it can’t be that bad.

My Scores (Out of 5):

Taste: 4

Environment: 2 (literally nothing to see as it’s below the flyover, but breezy though if the weather is right)

Service: 4 (thoughtful and friendly)

Price: no idea as I didn’t pay, but I know it’s reasonable.


Parking: 5 (free parking at the open space in front of the restaurant)


Address: 130A, Jalan C Y Choy, Bridge Street Foreshore, 10300, Penang


Tel: 604-2627524

Others: Open from 11.30am to 2.30pm and 5.30pm to 10.00pm

2 comments:

  1. the teow chew steamed fish is my favourite!! Love the sour gravy... damn hungry now..I need to go find my dinner... = p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I like it spicy with lots of chilli padi :) Go try it out and let me know what you think :) Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete