Thursday, June 11, 2009

Penang Chinese Swimming Club’s Restaurant – James Foo Catering by GNEB

Penang Chinese Swimming Club has suddenly become a hot spot for “chu char”(cooked dishes with rice) in Penang recently.

You’ll see many people go there during the weekends, thinking that they are there for their weekly swimming routines. In fact, most of the people are there to “put on weight” rather than “lose weight”. Being nosey as usual, I have decided to check out the place recently (and I actually thought that only members were allowed in, well, apparently not).

I have not stepped foot in Penang Chinese Swimming Club for as long as I can remember. I think the last time I was there was when I was still at primary school and that was back in the mid 80’s…….hmmm… now I shouldn’t have told you this, should I?

The place does bring back lots of childhood memories to me. It looks very “retro” and they have done up the interior a bit. The cafeteria which used to serve very good curry puffs has now been turned into a restaurant that apparently, serves very good “chu char”.


So retro and nostalgic!!

The restaurant has been done up nicely. Back in the 80’s, this was where the cafeteria was.

Eat and enjoy the beautiful view at the same time. You can see sunset too if the time is right.

The restaurant’s specialties

We ordered the below dishes and all of them were tasty. I especially liked the Butter Milk Fish Fillet that really went well with rice. The Fish Maw Soup was also not bad. They also serve ice-kacang (Malaysian shaved ice dessert) which looked tempting. I’ll try it the next time I go.

Bean sprouts with salty fish (RM6) – the only complaint was that they never got rid of the roots…I eat bean sprouts with roots taken off!

Onion Omelet (RM6) – one of my all time favourites. No complaint :)

Butter Milk Fish Fillet (RM8) – this is real nice!

Fish Maw Soup (RM10)- there’re also fish balls and vegetables in the soup


My Scores:

Taste: ☺☺☺ ☺

Environment: ☺☺☺ (you can get to see sunset if the time is right: 6 – 7pm)

Service: ☺☺(not extremely friendly nor rude, acceptable generally)

Price: ☺☺☺
Parking: ☺☺☺☺(Penang Swimming Club’s car park and it’s free of charge)
Address: 562, Tanjung Bunga, 11200, Penang, Malaysia
Tel: 604-8909521

Website: NA.

No comments:

Post a Comment