Monday, June 15, 2009

Aroi Thai Restaurant, Pulau Tikus by GNEB

My appetite has lately gone very exotic indeed. Having had dinner at ChokDeeThai only a couple of days ago, I went for Thai food again on Saturday evening at the newly opened Aroi Thai Restaurant (in Pulau Tikus) and even more exotic, Vietnamese food at Saigon Kitchen (also in Pulau Tikus) on Sunday night..

Let me first talk about Aroi as it’s still new and not much has actually been written about it. Aroi Thai Restaurant is located just right at the top right corner of the crossroads between Cantoment Road and Burmah Road. It just opened its door last week, accordingly to one of the owners.

I had noticed it on Saturday afternoon, on my way back from the Gurney Plaza and thought that I’d give it a try in the evening. Desperate it may sound, it’s just my usual enthusiasm in trying out new food..


This is the exact location, right beside Soon Huat Fruits Shop. Those of you who know Pulau Tikus well and could still recall, this used to be a shop that sells some nifty electrical sockets.






Everything in here is new…the fixtures and fittings, menu etc…

I also noticed that the restaurant is doing quite well indeed. It was nearly full and many more were still about to get in when I left, not to mention that I’ve also overheard the owner trying to give instructions to multiple telephone enquiries on how to get to the restaurant. I guess many people are equally as enthusiastic as me in trying out new restaurants.

The service is a bit topsy turvey, considering the fact that it’s still new. The owners were running around serving their customers, recommending their specialties, mingling with the customers and asking for customers’ feedback. We had to wait slightly longer for the Kheng Som (Spicy Fish Soup) to be served to us, but then I reckon that’s OK as it was piping hot and that’s all that matters with a dish like this.


Stir Fried Kailan with Salted Fish (RM7.90) – I always go for this as I want to make sure vege is in my everyday diet….Ok, ok, I’ll try other different vegetables in my next review..

Pandan Chiken (RM12) – They were quite nice actually, succulent and tender.


Kheng Som; Spicy Thai Fish Soup (RM18.90) – This was really spicy hot and trust me, with me saying hot, it means hot! I liked the way they prepared the fish by deep frying it first before dumping it in the soup.

Last but not least…how could one miss out Tub Tim Krob in a Thai restaurant?


Tub Tim Krob; Thai Coconut Milk Dessert (RM4.50) – I think it was a generous portion with lots of jackfruits and sago lumps. In fact, one of the best I’ve tried.

So, there you go….one more good Thai restaurant for your consideration.

My Scores:
Taste: ☺☺☺☺☺
Environment: ☺☺☺☺(it’s new)
Service: ☺☺☺(seeking feedback to improve, good practice!)
Price: ☺☺☺ (ok-lah, just that the service charge is 10%)
Parking: ☺☺(don’t think of parking right in front or you’ll risk getting summons. Park in front of Maybank and walk there)
Address: 387, Jalan Burmah, 10350, Penang (in Pulau Tikus district)
Tel: 604-2276771
Others: They’ll give you a stamp every time you spend more than RM50. Collect 10 stamps and you’ll get a free lunch set..Hmmm..there is such a thing as free lunch after all?

4 comments:

  1. The pandan chicken looks nice. I think that it would be very delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to mention, you could share your posts at: ArticlePinger.com too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for dropping by. Yup, the pandan chicken was very nice. Will definitely check out ArticlePinger.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. they are also provide in set lunch from 12.30 to 3pm.The price is worth with main course, soup, drink and dessert~

    ReplyDelete