Friday, June 12, 2009

ChokDeeThai by GNEB

There are many blog posts about ChokDeeThai out there, since the restaurant has recently become very popular among the many Thai food lovers in Penang. Nevertheless, I thought I should write a review about it, as a record for the restaurants I have patronized.

Someone once told me that ChokDeeThai had once operated somewhere in Island Glades, but I’m not sure of where it was exactly. I’m sure I have been to one Thai food restaurant years ago that was just behind Island Glades’ “Genting”. I’m not sure if that was actually ChokDeeThai though.

Regardless of that, the restaurant had since moved and it was time for me to try out what the new restaurant had to offer.

Unless you have seen the restaurant physically before, otherwise I’d suggest that you pay full attention on your left once you have passed the “Green House Coffee Shop” in Burma Road. You may mistake ChokDeeThai for a salon..

The interior

More on the interior

Food wise, I’d say they’re all very authentic tasting. The “Real McCoy” Thai food! Mind you, the restaurant is run by Thai owners. I somehow felt like I was dining somewhere in Hatyai a bit, especially listening to those melodious Thai songs in the restaurant. Speaking of which, I’ve not been to Hatyai for ages. Hmmm….looks like it’s about time to pay those friendly Thai nationals a visit! Thailand has always been my favourite country by the way.

Tom Yum Prawns (RM20). This was really lovely – pungent, hot and spicy! I could finish the whole steamboat really.

Thai Fish Cake (RM14). I love these too.

Basil Leaves Chicken (RM13)
Stir Fry Kai Lan with Salty Fish (RM12). Now I actually thought this was a bit salty..

The strong and pungent tastes of the Thai dishes have whetted my appetite so much that I was actually craving for more. In the end, I ordered Thai desserts!

Tub Tim Krob (RM4) – This is a must whenever I go for Thai food.

Tau Suan (RM3.50) – Hope I got the name right. I thought I’d try something warm and different. It tasted a bit like “gandum” (a type of M’sian dessert) without the starch.
I’d definitely go back for more when my hunger for Thai Food pangs!


My Scores:

Taste: ☺☺☺☺☺ (no doubt)

Environment: ☺☺☺ (ok-lah)

Service: ☺☺☺ (also ok-lah)

Price: ☺☺(pricier than some less well known Thai restaurants). 5% service charge.

Parking: ☺☺(limited park space in front of the restaurant or you’ll have to park by the roadside)

Address: 231-D, Jalan Burma, 10350, Penang

Tel: 604-2291492

Others: Same row as “Green House” Coffee Shop



2 comments:

  1. The food there indeed not bad. Used to be in Greenlane, behing Genting kopitiam. Price wise... a little bit more ex then usual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm..thanks for the confirmation, then I have actually been there when it was at Genting. Very difficult to park car though :)

    ReplyDelete