Sunday, August 9, 2009

Nan Yang Chinese Cuisine, Penang by Gneb

I came across Nan Yang Chinese Cuisine few years back when I was in the historic Armenien Street for the yearly Chinese New Year Cultural Show. Since then, I have been back there for their traditional Min Nan / Hokkien dishes a few times.

Last week, my friends and I were at Nan Yang Chinese Cuisine again for lunch. It’s such a nostalgic feeling being in Armenien Street, under the afternoon sun. Everything feels just so “retro”.

Nan Yang Chinese Cuisine plays such a complementary role in Armenien Street, in reflecting the old time Penang charm. The restaurant is such an attraction in this area that many tourists actually stop to take a few pictures.







We actually ordered a lot for lunch. I remember having to skip dinner that night..

Xia Men Spring Rolls [RM12] – This is quite special, but I don’t think you get much taste out of it though. I guess it’s all due to the vegetables filling, which is a bit bland. There’s also some meat floss in the filling too.



Bak Wan (Meatballs) [RM10] – I quite like them. The texture is nice and tender. There’s also no strong 5 spices powder smell like in some Chinese meat dishes.


Oh Jien (Fried Oyster Omelet) [RM8] – Honestly speaking, I’ve tasted better fried oyster omelet elsewhere, so I don’t really like this as much (but this is just me).



Tao Chiam (Fried Flat Noodles) [RM5.50] – This is a special type of flat noodles that is found mostly in Min Nan / Hokkien dishes. You don’t get this kind of noodles in many places and hence I cherish them every time I eat them. So, yeah, it was ok.



Tung Hoon (Fried Fine Vermicelli) [RM5] – This is one of my favourite Hokkien dishes, so I’d say it is acceptable. However, I’ve also tried better ones elsewhere.



My scores (out of 5):
Taste:
2
Environment: 4 (Nostalgic and very charming. It’d been better if they could repaint the walls as the paint is starting to peel off and becoming an eye sore)
Service: 3 (Acceptable)
Price: 3 (Acceptable since this is a tourists’ spot)
Parking: 4 (Parking lots available along Jalan Masjid Kapitan Keling and Armenien Street)
Address: 86 & 86A, Armenien Street, 10200, Penang
Tel: 04-2616618
Website: nanyangchinesecuisine.blogspot.com
Others: closes on Monday

No comments:

Post a Comment