Thursday, August 13, 2009

My vacation in Rome, Italy by Gneb

Last autumn, I was in Italy for 2 weeks for holidays. I had always wanted to go to Italy and had read so much about it. So, I was only too chuffed that it was going to be the destination for my family’s holiday and that I was able to see the country for the first time for real. You can imagine my excitement : )



We were in Rome and the region of Tuscany for a week each.


Rome


Rome is definitely a beautiful city. It’s full of histories and it seems like everywhere you go, you’ll come across some vestiges of the historic Roman Empire or glorious Renaissance. Although Rome is not squeaky clean as in most European cities (in fact, be warned that you’ll see rubbish and dog poops everywhere), I still think Rome is such a magnificent city. I’m attaching the pictures of the places I’ve been which I think are worth visiting for any first timer in Rome.


The Colosseum



Inside the Colosseum



Inside the Colosseum



The Roman Forum




See, there's a scull on the mortar




I find the best way to tour Rome is by foot. That way, you get to see more while you’re walking. Besides, most of the famous tourist’s spots are within walking distance from each other. All you need is a good map, an adventurous mind and a pair of watchful eyes (for the pickpockets in crowded places and also the dog poops) and off you go.

Trevi Fountain




The Pantheon - hmmm..I wonder if Prof. Langdon is in there...


Pantheon Dome



Piazza Navona





Taking the underground trains and buses could be a challange, if you do not speak the language. Not all Italians will speak in English with you, so be prepared to utter some rusty Italian vocabularies when in need. Also, buses and trains could be extremely packed during peak hours. I happened to be on a bus packed with so many people and it looks like it’s about to burst. Not to mention the worries of falling victim to the pickpockets.


A narrow street in Rome





Castel Sant' Angelo




River Tiber - the runs across the city of Rome


Piazza San Pietro



We stayed at Hotel Papa Germano which is located conveniently right in the city centre of Rome. Not only it’s within walking distance from the central train station (Roma Termini), but also the main shopping districts and a number of famous tourist spots. Although Hotel Papa Germano is only a 2 star hotel, the rooms are all clean and comfortable. We stayed in one with en suite and overlooking the street in front of the hotel.




St Peter's Square, Vatican.











By the way, breakfast is included in the room rate and I must say, the breakfast is unlike some continental breakfasts in Europe (where normally only a pathetic breakfast roll and a glass of juice are served). Here at Hotel Papa Germano, the bubbly lady actually whips up a hearty buffet breakfast every morning for the guests, with even hard boiled eggs, hams, bacons and cheese. Free flow of fabulous Italian coffee too!



Victor Emmanuel Monument



Victor Emmanuel Monument



Campidoglio Palazzo Senatorio


View from the Palantine Hill, with Santa Maria church in the backdrop.


What an experience it has been. I actually feel like going back to Italy again, when my ship comes in off course : )

No comments:

Post a Comment