Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Wine Tasting in Margaret River & Swan Valley, Australia by Gneb

Margaret River
A
s I mentioned in my previous post about Margaret River Guest House, people either come to Margaret River for wine tasting or the local produce (e.g. cheese, chocolate etc) tasting.

I’m not a wine connoisseur, but I certainly enjoy the odd opportunity to visit different wine making regions and taste different wines. So, I made it a point that I should go wine tasting when I was in Margaret River recently.

Below are some of the wineries that I went to that I thought were really good. They looked more like hotels to me than wineries. All of them run their own restaurants as well. Best of all, wine tasting is free in these wineries!

This is kind of up-market and in fact, we were told that this is one of the best wineries in this area. The people behind the bar are friendly and would patiently pour the wines and explain them to their guests. I bought a bottle of their 2005 Senses Shiraz here.






Leeuwin Estate
Another posh one in this area. This is another one we were told worth visiting and produces some of the best wines in the area. I bought a bottle of their 2003 Cabernet Merlot.





Voyager Estate
I’d say this is by far the best winery to take your beautiful pictures as the scenery is just great.






Lake Clifton Vineyard and Winery
On our way back to Perth, we saw this little winery that makes fruit wines. We thought it was so special and we’d never tried fruit wines, so we decided to stop and check it out.


It looks more like a little shed and they make wines out of different fruits, such as strawberry, mango, peach, pineapple and ginger. Very special!






Swan Valley
Swan Valley is another famous wine region in Australia and it’s not as far away from Perth as Margaret River. People usually can make a day trip up here from Perth during the weekend.

Houghton Wines
There's big green field at the back and you get to see many wild cockatoos here. We didn’t try out the wines here but the winery is such a beautiful scene. It also has a cellar that’s open to public.





Sittella
Now if you’re feeling a little peckish while in Swan Valley, Sittella is definitely an ideal place for lunch. Not only it has a very beautiful restaurant with a fabulous view over the vineyard, the food is also fantastic!





Life couldn’t have been more wonderful to start our lunch with a glass of wine from the winery itself.



Followed by these lovely starters...







And finish off with all these scrumptious main courses.



1 comment: