Thursday, July 23, 2009

Old Flavours “Authentic” Cuisine (Formerly OFA Café), Penang by Gneb

I’m back to my usual weekend-driving-around-looking-for-new-eating-places-activity since coming back from Perth.

I was at Old Flavours last Saturday. Old Flavours is not really a new place. It’s formerly known as Old Frees Association (OFA) Café and it has been there for as long as I can remember. I have been to both OFA and Old Flavours a couple of times before and I’ve decided to blog about it this time, so that it adds to our list of good eating places in Penang.

As the place has just newly re-opened (and renamed Old Flavours), the entrance of the restaurant is decorated with red Chinese lanterns and the “red cloth”.



There’re plenty of parking lots in front of and behind the restaurant. Parking is free as the space belongs to the Old Frees Association.


The restaurant was literally packed with customers that evening. However, we didn’t have to wait for long for the elderly waiter to come and take our order. I know many people normally come here for their Mee Mamak and Western Food, which are some of their specialties. However, it was dinner time and it’d only make sense for us to order “Chu Char” (cooked dishes with rice).

Sambal Kangkung / Stired Fried Spinach with Chili Paste (RM 8.00) - This was ok as I’ve tasted better sambal kangkung before. Nevertheless, it was acceptable.



Tofu in Scallop Sauce (RM 8.00) - Actually I quite liked this. The tofu was tender and the sauce was so tasty.


Kapitan Chicken / Dry Chicken Curry (RM10.00) – Not bad. I liked that they cut the chicken into cutlets and they were all boned.


Fried Onions Omelets (RM8.00) – I just can’t live without eggs in my diet!

My scores:
Taste: 3

Environment: 3 (A bit cramped, but they have lots of customers too)

Service: 4 (The elderly waiter was friendly)

Price: 4 (Reasonable and comparable to other “Chu Char”)

Parking: 5 (Lots of them and FOC too)

Address: Old Frees Association. 41, Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah, 10050, Penang

Tel: 604-2298189

No comments:

Post a Comment